• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Avoiding food poisoning

Status
Not open for further replies.

8ft-Sativa

Bluelighter
Hey, I'm off to India for a few months starting May. Like everyone esle I'm not too hot for food poisoning and am look at some ways to minimize my risk.

I fell sick last year in Cambodia and it was so bad I just went home 3 weeks early:\ worst experience is being violently ill on your own in a foreign country.

First of all I'm buying a good spray bottle off some hand sanitizer to use before eating.

My Dad's friend went to India and after each meal he drunk half a cup of straight whiskey and never came ill. Now this makes sense as the ethanol will kill any bad bacteria in the food while getting digested.

Any suggestions and do you think that whiskey thing is a good idea?
I could definatley slamm half a glass after meals . . . . I'm on holiday =D

Hey, I'm off to India for a few months starting May. Like everyone esle I'm not too hot for food poisoning and am look at some ways to minimize my risk.

I fell sick last year in Cambodia and it was so bad I just went home 3 weeks early:\ worst experience is being violently ill on your own in a foreign country.

First of all I'm buying a good spray bottle off some hand sanitizer to use before eating.

My Dad's friend went to India and after each meal he drunk half a cup of straight whiskey and never came ill. Now this makes sense as the ethanol will kill any bad bacteria in the food while getting digested.

Any suggestions and do you think that whiskey thing is a good idea?
I could definatley slamm half a glass after meals . . . . I'm on holiday =D

Haha sorry man, but that bolded line got me laughin pretty hard. I'm sure not many people are HOT for food poisoning.

I've never heard of that whiskey thing, but it seems kind of a stretch.

The only thing I can think of, which isn't much, is just to have everything cooked as thouroughly as possible.

Isn't the oil they actually cook Indian food with, that which makes people so ill? I mean, it's not just un-cooked food (ecoli, salmanela etc), but just most people's stomachs aren't prepared to handle that oil shit? If it's the oil that makes you sick, and they cook all their shit in it, you may just have to roll the dice with not much else to do:\

Good luck man, hope you avoid huggin that toilet!

The oil would be about 160-180 Celsius to fry, i'm pretty sure no bacteria survives in that kinda heat . . . I'm possibly wrong though.

I really want some more thoughts on that whisky idea!

I'm not going to eat any poultry of fish. Maybe will try goat curry but all the rest will be vege. The vege dishes over there are supposed to be incredible . . . Oh! Samosas with proper pungent/aromatic spices, double yum!

Whiskey will definitely prevent any pathogens from spreading in your stomach to intestines, however I would drink it with the meal. I would try to eat vegetarian as well. meat is probably the most likely source of infection. However nothing will protect you from virii....

Oh yes and avoid the Untouchables.

Get a Probiotic with several strains of bacteria. Make sure it's enteric coated. Those lil bugs will do a lot of defend you against bad bugs. They are also great for treating diahhrea.

Start taking them ASAP and don't stop till you are back!

Also, ginger and turmeric extract pills...Not that you won't be getting plenty with your food, but it's hard to get too much of em.

Be careful with the whiskey and getting dehydrated.

Have fun, stay healthy and happy!

Status
Not open for further replies.